repairing paint after small water leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a small water leak which has damaged the paint work near the ceiling. I've scraped the paint back to the plaster, removing the damaged paint. Do I need to reseal the plaster and is there something I can use to make up the layers so that I don't need to scrape the whole wall? If I do need to reseal the plaster, what's the best thing to use and I think I've heard of something called a levelling compound. Is this what I should use or can I just build up with layers of paint?

Sponsored Links
We had a small water leak which has damaged the paint work near the ceiling. I've scraped the paint back to the plaster, removing the damaged paint. Do I need to reseal the plaster and is there something I can use to make up the layers so that I don't need to scrape the whole wall? If I do need to reseal the plaster, what's the best thing to use and I think I've heard of something called a levelling compound. Is this what I should use or can I just build up with layers of paint?

Hi...after scaping away loose paint you will be left with the plaster... dilute matt emulsion by 1 paint to 5 water and paint on..this will absorb into plaster
Once dry use a interior fill to take away the edge of the original paint..
Once dry rub down and paint with your finishing coat of paint

If after dry if a water mark is staining through, paint on a oil based undercoat.

website link removed by mods

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back