repairing plaster skim for tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently put up a some tiles on a wall at the end of my bath.

It's a newly plastered wall done by a plasterer and I used acrylic primer before tiling with cement based adhesive.

For various reasons <sigh> I have to take them off and redo it. I've knocked one of the tiles off and it's taken the plaster skim with it. I assume the same will happen with the rest.

Not sure what kind of backing plaster is underneath. Grey and sort of gritty. So before I re-tile this I guess I have to re-skim this bit of the wall?

What's the best stuff to use for this? Do I need to reskim it with multifinish or can I just use e.g. thistle one coat? Or could I just level it up with a skim of tile adhesive?

Cheers!

MVIMG_20220108_161548.jpg

MVIMG_20220108_161611.jpg

Sponsored Links
Backer board or lime render are the best backgrounds for wet wall tiling - a skim finish is definitely not needed, neither is the use of any gypsum plaster.
The grit is good stuff if the plasterer uses it properly?

What state the wall will be in when the tiles are off will only be revealed when they are off. Perhaps, post a pic?
You could soak/immerse the tiles for 24hrs and then probably scrape off any residue, and re-use the tiles.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

This wall is at one end of the bath - the other 2 are new stud walls and I have used STS shower boards (wedi type stuff) as their covering. Since this plastered wall is at the opposite end to the shower and it's a second bathroom that likely wont see much use anyway, I'm reasonably comfortable with it being plaster/gypsum substrate etc.

I'll put up a pic once I've knocked off the rest of the tiles. I do struggle to see how putting a new skim of plaster over the top of whatever is underneath will really aid matters. If I stabilise it and drop the suction with some more acrylic primer then surely It's OK to just tile over the top?

Since it's powder/cement based adhesive I don't think soaking the tiles will do much? Anyway I will be putting different tiles in their place.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back