Repairing plasterboard and refitting curtain pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Sorry to start my first post with a question. I always end up reading this forum when I have a problem and it usually solves it. My DIY skills are getting better now so hopefully I'll be contributing to the forum when I start some projects this year.

Up until yesterday we had a curtain pole above our French doors, which held up some long medium-weight curtains. This morning our cat ran into the living room, climbed the curtains and jumped up onto the pole and the whole lot came down. My girlfriend put the curtains up last year and I discovered today that she didn't use any of the plugs provided, she just screwed the screws for the brackets directly into the plasterboard wall as far as she could.

I'm going to get some proper plugs and screws at the weekend so that I can drill through the plasterboard and into something more solid behind it, but my question is can I repair the damage that's been done so that I can re-drill holes in the same places? Or do I need to move the brackets now? Moving the two outside brackets isn't an issue, but the middle one will no longer be in the middle if I move it. I also wanted to avoid fixing a baton to the wall if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
I'd use the same holes, drill them out properly, fill them with gripfill, pop a rawl plug in, let it dry solid and then screw the brackets into the plugs.

Fortunately the screws that came with the pole were only 4mm in diameter so I drilled out larger holes and used larger screws with correct plugs. Thanks for your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back