Repairing plasterboard 'honeycomb' stud wall before tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Whilst removing the tiles from my shower, a large section of the plasterboard has been damaged. The internal wall has the 'honeycomb' construction. I think I have a few options but not sure which is best.

1. Replace the whole plasterboard panel, which would create a bigger area of damage but I might have to anyway if I can't scrape the old tile adhesive off.
2. Cut out the section of damage and dot and dab new plasterboard straight onto the honeycomb.
3. Cut out the section of damage but take it wider to find the nearest stud, which is just where the wall changes changes angle to the right of the picture.
4. Replace the whole lot with aqua board to the nearest studs.

This was not water damage btw, just came away with the tiles. Above the damage is solid. It's 10 years old with no moisture damage so far.

Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.
Cheers.

af34f405.jpg

88dea15a.jpg

[/list]

Sponsored Links
At least the tiles were well stuck on there & the wall reasonably sound, usually what happens is the whole lot behind there disintegrates into a moldy, gooey mess. You will need to get all the adhesive off before you can re-tile so the easiest/quickest option is probably to replace the whole panel. Plasterboard of any sort is unsuitable for a wet area unless it’s tanked & Aquaboard is only moisture resistant plasterboard, it should still be tanked in a shower. I’d use Aquapanel (cement board) but you may have problems getting suitable fixing/bonding to the Paramount egg box inner stud (bloody crap IMO). If the adjacent walls are the same, your gong to have similar problems with those at some point & if you plan on re-tiling the whole shower, it may be better to strip out the paramount walls altogether & start again with something more suitable.

Do your homework on wall & tiling materials before deciding & re-tiling.

Hello,

I'm in a similar position, and would be interested to know the method you chose and what the outcome was?

I know this thread is very old so I'm not expecting a reply but worth a shot.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I had the same, I fitted Kerdi board with tile adhesive and cavity fixings over the top of the paramount wall.

Attachments

• EA6834A8-D767-46B9-B231-7EDA821CA58B.jpeg
    EA6834A8-D767-46B9-B231-7EDA821CA58B.jpeg
    365.3 KB · Views: 1,045
  • AD1F4D6C-5801-42AF-9598-B252D173137A.jpeg
    AD1F4D6C-5801-42AF-9598-B252D173137A.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 4400B5B9-52C8-44EE-B15F-1951D6CE98A7.jpeg
    4400B5B9-52C8-44EE-B15F-1951D6CE98A7.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 907

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back