Repairing roughcast in winter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a flat, survey 2 months ago was ok but after the buying process taking a couple of monthsI've got into the flat and there's a recent bit of damage to the outside roughcast (wasn't there a month ago) & there's now a patch of bare brick. It's only about 10"x5" but damp is now penetrating to the internal wall/plaster

Bearing in mind that it's December in Scotland and it's cold & wet, is there any repair that I can administer? Even a temporary one until the spring would be fine.

I was thinking of cutting back the rough cast to get rid of the wet stuff and then screwing a board over the patch & siliconing it to death....

Any pointers appreciated.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
You could ask a local tradesman for advice.

Personally, I would get rid of all the loose and give it a scratch coat of 4:1 sand:eek:pc with waterproofer, this will seal up the wall and will receive a coat of roughcast. Once this coat is prperly set then you don't need to fear frost.

HOWEVER - you need to think about how you are going to finish it, is it a job you can do yourself or if you need a tradesman.

If you can get a tradesman he may sort it out for you in two stages or be able to pick a day when it is suitable to finish it, having made it weaterh proof.. When you get a rtradesman , make sure you agree what prepping is to be done as you may cause more truoble in the long run otherwise.

I agree with Micilin, get a local tradesman's advice, carry out a repair to stop any wet/damp penetration over the Winter, then decide what to do in the Spring. A word of caution, be careful when/if you cut back the old roughcast,, it might loosen some more, i'd leave it to the tradesman.
Very strange too how this loose patch has suddenly appeared!!

It could of been a cracked section ,rc. And if the frost has got under it after a damp spell it could of brought it off mucka.... ;)

Sponsored Links
I agree with roughcaster that it's v. strange to suddenly pop off. Typically, if it's going to blow or deform, signs will be there well in advance

At what height is the damage? ie. ground floor or above.
Have you carefully examined the rest of the surface(s)?

Why not recall the surveyor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back