Repairing small cracks/damage in lime render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've recently moved to a ~20yo timber house with a lime render and coloured lime wash. There are a couple of cracks and small areas of damage I'd like to address but I don't know what products I should be ordering - - there seems to be a fair bit of conflicting terminology.

I've attached pictures of one of the cracks and a corner overhang that's fallen out. I understand the process is to grind out the cracks, wet the existing render, fill with some product (what?), and tool to try to blend. The finish doesn't have to be perfect - - it's all part of the character of the house -- but I'd like to prevent water from getting behind.

So what product am I looking for? I'm guessing a hydrated lime putty, possibly mixed with a bit of sand for texture?

Attachments

• IMG_20211009_174142.jpg
    IMG_20211009_174142.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20211011_142145.jpg
    IMG_20211011_142145.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 130
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm only a DIY'er, so feel free to ignore! :)

I have found ready mixed lime mortar from:
https://www.lime-mortars.co.uk/
really easy to use; I think it should be suitable for your repairs.

To minimise Shrinkage cracks in your repair, keep the area moist and covered for as long as possible; I was giving it a spray with a plant mister every couple of hours!

I hope that's of some use!

Thanks, I've ordered some ready mixed render from that site so will see how it goes. Did you mix with sand to try to match texture? If so, what type of sand?

Sponsored Links
The 'medium stuff' mortar matched my texture very well, so I didn't need to add anything.
They do have a free matching service, but I haven't tried it.
The instruction leaflet that comes with the package was really helpful, so take note!
Good luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back