Repairing the cement around an asbestos flue pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm getting my loft insulated (which clearly hasn't been done since the 70s... currently about 10mm up there!) and the surveyor asked that I fix the crumbling cement around the rim of our asbestos cement flue pipe. Apparently, it should be as simple as taking a trowel and just tapping it loose into a bucket (with a mask/goggles obviously), then replacing it with some new cement (polyfilla or something).

Has anyone done this themselves before? Any suggestions? (Yes, that includes "don't do it as the asbestos fibres can kill!") Is it too risky or should it be ok? Would it be better to get my landlord to pay someone to fix this?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Alistair

Sponsored Links
Yes it's your Landlord's flue & his responsibility.
He should be getting it inspected every year in your "Landlord's Certificate" if it's gas. All fumes can kill you just the same though.
It would need testing by a qualified geezer.

No not polyfilla - proper fire cement, though wouldn't say without seeing it.

All a tennant needs to do is keep property clean and tidy and pay the rent.

All repairs should be done by a qualified professional and thats most important when its gas related!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back