repairing the putty on my sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, yet another question about my sash windows :)

We've pulled out the sashes (THAT bit was quite easy!) and, after quite a long time scraping, I've removed the broken pane of glass. I was planning to stick a new one in and finish it off with linseed oil putty.

The putty around the other panes is looking less than perfect - bumpy finish and a few (small) cracks. I WAS thinking that it would be quite nice to remove the putty from these other panes, but it was a right pain to remove that first lot and I am therefore assuming that the problems with it are merely aesthetic.

Could I just chip out the bits that are loose and fill in the gaps? Can I put some putty over the bumpy bits? Sand it back a little bit? Or is this an all-or-nothing type of thing?

Finally, given that linseed oil putty takes AGES to dry and I would rather paint the sashes before putting them back in the frames, is there something else that anyone would suggest?

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Remove as much putty as possible, it's not for sanding, remove excess oil [ roll in newspaper]from putty before use, should be paintable after a week or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back