Repairing Water Damage to a Ceiling

GSD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A leaking pipe in an upstairs bathroom has caused two bulges to appear on our lounge ceiling, which is artexed in a 'swirl' type design. One of the bulges is cracked and the other has two holes in it which were made to release the 25 plus litres water that were trapped above it.

Obviously we will have to let the ceiling dry out for a bit but I would be very grateful for any advice regarding the best way to repair the damage after that.

Many thanks, GSD

Sponsored Links
you could try using a flat piece of ply on top of a prop and push the sagged board back for a few days until its dry then put in new screws
to hold it, if it dries with a sagged in it I think you'll have to take it down and replace.

I'm presuming the same as Marshy' that the ceiling is plasterboard.....This is the kind of job that is probably un- repairable, especially as it has been artexed too, which is impossible to patch/repair... Put in claim to your insurance company for the damage, and take it from there... Most people nowadays, would not go for artex either.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Roughcaster for your advice and I will speak to our insurers tomorrow. I think that you're absolutely right that this isn't something we can handle ourselves, particularly as there maybe other damage we can't see, especially if it turns out that the pipe has been leaking undetected for some time. GSD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back