1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Repairing water damage

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by blue7957, 27 May 2010.

1. blue7957

blue7957

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have some water damage to plaster on the ceiling due to a shower leak.

The leak is fixed and the plaster is dry - see pictures below.

What can I do now? Can I just sand off the flakey paint and paint over or do I need to replace the plaster?

Thanks,

Chris.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. PrenticeBoyofDerry

PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would sand all the flakey paint off, then fill it out with easifill and sand down again, sometimes you need to apply two or three coats of easifill to bring it level, each application should be sanded.
    There still may be water marks where the leaks been, the stains need to be sealed, with a stain sealer prior to painting as the stain can bleed back through the paint.

http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...ries/gyproc_accessories/gyproc_easi-fill.aspx

4. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local