Repairing window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice please regarding the window frames on the top bay of my Victorian house. Is the damage beyond repair or is it repairable? Will wood filler suffice or do I need something that will stop the rot? I've bought some good quality Dulux primer and undercoat and will be using Dulux Weathershield at the top coat once repaired.

20171130_090534.jpg 20171130_090530.jpg

Sponsored Links
It fillable but its not really a good time of year to be doing outdoor painting, its freezing most nights.

I could be wrong, but that looks like wet rot at the top, and it it is, then it needs treating before it gets into the house. If it is, it'll be dry and crumbly, and it'd need raking out, and then a wood treatment to kill the spores. After that, you'd use a two part wood filler, and sand it down before it goes too hard. But you also might want to consider using this as well.

If you're going to paint it this time of year, then make sure you use a solvent based primer, undercoat and paint.

Sponsored Links
the main rot is in a piece of trim or maybe the corner post of the bay. its beyond repair, it will have to be replaced.
the other trimwork should be levered off and cleaned up/sanded off on the ground not in position. belt sand and orbit sand the remaining wood.
the pvc frame has been fitted to far forwerd, it should be 75mm set back.
i'd work off a tower if i was doin it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back