Repairing Window Frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, Im new here and any help would be much appreciated.

I have recently moved into a new flat and the window frames (single glazed) are desperately in need of some attention. Ideally they need replacing but funds are a little tight at the moment and I would like to try and repair them.

The frames are softwood that has been stained a mahogany colour. However the front windows are exposed to the sun and the stain is now cracked and pealing. My questions are:

I have a detail sander which I intend to use to sand the wood down before re-staining. Is this the best way and is it necessary to remove all of the existing stain or just the bits that are cracked and pealing?

Some of the putty needs replacing and the new putty I have bought is white. It has been suggested that I can mix some stain with the new putty before applying it to the window frame. Is this correct or is it best to wait until the new putty sets (takes around 5 weeks according to the instructions) and then stain this separately?

Some of the wood has rotted and this will need filling. What is the best filler to use bearing in mind that it must be stained to match the rest of the window frame?

B&Q, etc do cheap, own brand woodstains, has anyone used these before and do they give good results? I am also considering using Ronseal 5 Year woodstain but is this worth the extra cost?

Thank you for reading such a long post! Any help will be gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
You will only really need to properly sand down the flaked and peeling stain but give the rest of it a light rubbing down as well to provide a 'key' for the new stain.Could you not return the putty where you bought it from and exchange it for brown putty to match the frames ? Regarding the wood filler , you would be best getting a 'two-pack' filler in mahogany . This consists of a putty type filler and a hardener in a small tube which you mix together (golf ball size paste to a pea sized bit of hardener)but don't mix more than you can use straight away because it does set rather quickly. I can't help on the woodstains bit because I never buy any but I hope the rest above is some help.

I'd personally go for the 'named' brand stains, varnish etc. over 'own brands'. I resurrected two mahogany veneeered chest of drawers, the first one being done on a budget, the second one not. Believe me the second one looks far superior and the finish is standing up to the knocks better than the first. I just know I'm gonna have to redo the first one before the year is out !

Sponsored Links
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply :D

It looks like I will be busy this weekend (weather permitting!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back