Sikkens or Dulux WeatherShield for Exterior Timber Window Frames and Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some timber window frames on my house. To the front of the property the windows look like they are hardwood and currently have a Ronseal exterior woodstain on them. To the rear of the property the frames appear to have a painted gloss finish (not sure if the frames are hardwood or softwood in case it matters but look more like softwood)

I also have timber cladding and fascia boards to a concrete garage that also currently has a painted finish. Again not sure what type of wood it is but looks like softwood which feels moist beneath the paint where its peeling off.

All the above are in need of painting again and appear to have some minor rot but I'm not sure which product is best for the type of wood/joinery that I've explained to protect against the elements mostly rot due to rain.

Sikkens have two products, sikkens cetol filter 7 plus and sikkens cetol thb plus. Dulux have the exterior weather shield quickdry satin finish.

On the type of joinery I've explained which type of finish would be preferable e.g. a stain like sikkens or a paint like dulux weathershield for maximum protection?

What preparation would be required to apply the coatings you recommend considering the coatings that are currently on the wood?

Someone suggested I should be using a stain since paint peels off so I'm a bit confused now.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated?

I've attached some pics if it helps.

20180602_101001_resized.jpg 20180602_101033_resized.jpg 20180602_101055_resized.jpg 20180602_102322_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The dulux quickdry like the Ronseal is water based and does not last long outside especially on horizontal surfaces like the sills.

I would go for Sikkens , expensive but well worth it.

How do I prepare the surfaces. Do I sand them all back both the ronseal stained side and the painted gloss side? Do I need to apply a base coat when using sikkens?

Don't sand back the gloss it will take flakes off and never look right, use a fine sandpaper (wet and dry) and just take the shine off it.

BTW Sadolin durable woodstain is very good.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Don't sand back the gloss it will take flakes off and never look right, use a fine sandpaper (wet and dry) and just take the shine off it.

BTW Sadolin durable woodstain is very good.

Blup

Some of the gloss is peeling off?

IMO, normal oil based 'trade' gloss will last longer and go on better than the water based dulux

For any bits where the paint's peeling, give it a going over with an scraper, and ideally primer on bare wood

You can scrape off any old peeling paint; if it is really bad use a heat gun or paint stripper, back to the bare wood, but both these methods require great care.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back