Zinnser Allcoat vs Sikkens Filter Plus on exterior timber windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which would be the better and long lasting application, zinnser allcoat or sikkens filter plus on exterior timber windows/doors to protect wood from rain and rot and repeat maintenance?

Sponsored Links
It depends whether you want to paint the surface or apply a translucent stain.
As far as I know allcoat I think is a coloured paint, sikkens is a translucent wood stain, it can be also used with sikkens HLS to give a deeper colour then over coated with filter7
Not used the allcoat but it has a good reputation I have used sikkens several times good finish and easy to rub down and apply another coat a few years later.

Either would be fine as they are probably the two best exterior coatings money can buy. As mentioned by footprints, use the filter 7 over the HLS if it's going over new timber. As he also said, Allcoat is a solid paint and the Sikkens is a woodstain, Allcoat is incredible stuff and with proper prep will last for years, Sikkens HLS and filter 7 is the best exterior woodstain system I've seen.

Sponsored Links
V groove joints on outside and sand 2mm radius to external edges.

Paint top and bottom of doors.

New wood should have end grain sealer.....on end grain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back