Reparing Coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone :) again. Heres another one.

What is the best way to repair coving that is broken in various places?

I assume cut either end of the offending coving, then removing it and replacing with a new section?

Is a stanley knife the best tool for cutting already installed coving? (obviously you would make a neat cut).

I ask this because once i removed coving for a mate and I had to use a hammer and chistle to get the stuff off! Is this common?

And should you just cut a straight, vertical line, or should you use a piece of coving as a template and then mitre the cut? (so that the newly fitted piece of coving would be mitred) Or is this very difficult to do on coving that is already up?

I hope you understand what im on about!

I would be very gratefull for any replies :) .

Thanks to everyone who always takes the time.

Best wishes, BIGLOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Sponsored Links
I'd just cut it through vertically with a stanley knife at each end of the damaged section. The worst part is removing the old adhesive from the ceiling/wall. It takes a while, but it comes off in the end. Patience Lou. :LOL:

Pull it all off and start again. It's a mug's game trying to bodge it.

Sponsored Links
I certainly wouldnt bodge it Joe, even if it was an inconvenience to myself to do it properly. I was thinking more along the lines of making an invisible repair (in a manner of speaking, I know if you look close enough you will always see the joint).

But your saying its worth taking it all down for the sake of a few small sections?

Thanks for the reply by the way Joe

BIGLOU

Pull it all down & do whatever you have to leave a nice square ceiling. Coving is now only slightly more fashionable that Artex & its fairly common knowledge how fashionable I think that is regarding sometimes accidental but unsociable behaviour at dinner parties; square ceilings are very "in fashion". :LOL:

Hi Richard C,

I would pull the lot down if it was my house, though my fiancees mum loves the stuff and its her house.

So I could do her a favour and rip it all down when she goes out for the day and say it fell down because it was so old... ;) (joke)

But lets just say I did repair it :p . Surely it is possible to get a perfect, un noticable repair.

Unless the new stuff looks so good it stands out like a sore thumb next to the old stuff.

Thanks to everyone once again!

You can repair it, cutting it out as said.

Just as an extra, put a bit of adhesive on the two existing ends, with a decent bit of scrim then bedded into that (you'll have to use your fingers to push it in behind the old coving. Leave a tail of scrim (wide stuff if you have it, or a couple for pieces of regular) to catch on to each end of the new piece - anyone here who has done a bit of fibrous might know what I mean (you'd uses a piece of hessian/jute)

I would pull the lot down if it was my house, though my fiancees mum loves the stuff and its her house.
Sorry Biglou; I completely understand such constraints :oops: .

It should be possible to cut out & repair &, with good work with a craft knife & some filler, it should be completely invisible.

Pull it all off and start again. It's a mug's game trying to bodge it.

Although i know you're not going to pull it all off Lou,, Joe-90's right. If you "patch in" a new piece of coving, (new to old), you will notice the difference, especially if the old coving has been painted a good few times over the years. It takes on a different texture, and when you add in a new piece, you'll notice the difference,,, but if you took out the whole length/s of coving from corner to corner,, you wouldn't notice any difference at all, to speak of,,,, i'm maybe being over fussy now though.

Your not being over fussy at all roughcaster. Thats what I like. A perfect, decent job.

Yeahh I thought that may be the case. The new stuff standing out like a sore thumb next to the old stuff. But taking out a whole length is a solution I didnt think of.

Il see what the boss says.

Has to be a decent job as its the sort of person Id usually avoid business with.

Very hard to please. Moan if you open a bag of plaster and a speck of dust comes out the top when ripping the bag open as gently as possible.

So will have to be a good job or she may clobber me with the rolling pin.

Thanks guys :)

Sorry Biglou;

I should think so too Richard. :LOL:

Coving though,,, i love the stuff, i think it set a room off,,,, although others can't stand it. When it comes to artex though, we're all agreed it's crap!!!

I'm with roughcaster on this one I personally like to see a nice room with coving. I've got an old house and have put back up nice decorative coving after I knocked the house apart. What I did do was run a nice pattered moulding about nine inches in from the coving along the ceiling which complements the coving. But then again I have painted my ceiling a "WedgeWood" blue colour.. Obviously there are old houses that call out for coving and then there are others that don't look right with it . I have just finished renovating a flat that is in a block that we renovated over ten years ago, and the guy who owns them wanted it done exactly
the same as the others which included putting up the same Gyproc coving as the others, but I must admit it does finish it off nicely.
As for patching a piece in you can do it, but like rc said cut the whole run out and replace it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back