Fitting coving when there is an undulation in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am fitting some coving on our landing ceiling but as you can see from photo here there is one spot where the ceiling dips down for a very short length .( It is solid over a beam)
From experience would it be best to let the coving follow that dip around or cut away the coving so that is stays level ?
Thanks in advance
James
PS The "dip " is about 1" deep and the coving I'm using is about 3 1/2" profile
IMG_20220213_145141.jpg

Sponsored Links
cut away the coving to match ceiling and paint both the same colour, but different to the wall.

Of course ! Yep that makes sense now. Really appreciate your advice.

Could you cut a small V in the coving where it meets the dip/ cut it there, make it out of two sections with the joint at the bump? I've made joints in plaster coving invisible once painted.

Sponsored Links
edited

Are you sure the "beam" is not a board fixed to the ceiling from below to support a broken section?

It's best to scribe to the ceiling keeping a straight line but putting coving up without trying to rectify that ceiling is not the way to go if you care what it looks like that is

I would not cove that.

If I had to, I'd let it find its level and fill the top edge to pack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back