Replace air brick wasps nest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into an old house last week. Tried to find the source of a smell in a cupboard and found this. Pictured from the outside too. It was covered in the inside with a bit of cardboard taped around it and since I've removed the cardboard I've seen 5 or so wasps around.

Do I need the nest removing, then the damaged air brick replacing? Or just remove and replace the air brick?

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20230929_110127624.jpg
    PXL_20230929_110127624.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG-20230929-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20230929-WA0004.jpeg
    550.3 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Give it a couple of weeks and the queen wasps should have left and workers died, you should the be able to remove the nest from inside

Give it a couple of weeks and the queen wasps should have left and workers died, you should the be able to remove the nest from inside
But make sure you are well protected as there may be a few still around. They can get VERY angry when disturbed,

Air brick is not damaged by nest which is similar to paper . You can buy a can of wasp nest killer .It’s a spray foam which you could spray on nest from both sides which will kill everything in it in a few minute .
Then you should be able to vacuum out the nest .

Sponsored Links
Get a professional exterminator in ASAP. Take their advice on how long to wait before removing the nest structure, they may do in the price.

Before next spring get the air brick changed to a Mash one.

Last edited:
Disturb them with a vacuum cleaner wand and turn it on.
If you are using that method, I would turn it on first before waving it about! I'd also want a large funnel on the end instead of just the open pipe or crevice nozzle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back