Replace asbestos downpipe through carport flat root

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone advise pls?

I am replacing an asbestos hopper & downpipe that currently runs through the flat roof above an open-air carport below. Ive got the asbestos-care bit covered off (spraying with PVA & wrapping) & council disposing of it.

Removing the main section of pipe is easy as is just secured by clips. The two issues I have are :

1) Whats the best way to remove the top section of pipe that passes through the roof bearing in mind that its currently sealed to the roof? I'm assuming I cut round it with something, but I dont want to cut a hole too big that will cause problems when trying to create a seal for the new pipe.

2) What's the best way to create a seal for the new pipe! I'd like to avoid using lead, bitumen & torches etc if possible (its only for a carport after all.) I've heard about using rubber sleeves (havent been able to find these), and acrypol, but am not really sure what the specific approach should be.

If anyone could offer some advice, I'd really appreciate it. Photo attached if it helps.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
you could cut the base of the pipe and the top off part in car port and remove, the waterproofing is the easy part

OK, what, you mean keep that section of the pipe in place & just fit the new hopper & new pipe to either end of it? When you say the waterproofing is the easy part, what waterproofing would I have to do with that solution?

Thanks

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back