Replace Battery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just to pick your brains on here.

I have a battery that's 4 years old, and googled about to find any info. on signs it may need changing.

I googled somewhere that said it should be 12.6 - 12.45 volts after being left overnight.
I tried mine, Mine's and was 12.25 after being left overnight.

So I then used the multimeter to test the amp drain which was 60 milli amps. (within limits by the internet) testing between the disconnected neg. lead and the neg. Battery post.

A few nights ago, I left a trickle charger on it overnight, and got it to 12.6v

I have been to Halfords yesterday, ( a 4 mile drive so hopefully was charged up) the alternator tested fine, and so did the battery, but was told it needed re-charging.. (it measured 12.4v at Halfords) The guy there said the battery is fine and needs charging up.

So, today I went to another Halfords, (a 10 mile run) same result..
"Battery Fine, just needs charging up"

I could try charging the battery, then with the neg. lead off, check if there's a drop in voltage overnight.

Any comments??

Sponsored Links
There isn't anything particularly wrong here, voltage decay in a battery is normal if the car sits unused overnight. The older the battery, the more definite the decay.
After a run I would expect the voltage to be a little higher for a while. If Halfords suggest the battery needs charging up, what do they think the alternator is for? :eek:
With the engine running, look for around 14.4 v. When cranking, look for over 11v.
Are you having problems with the car?
John :)

Hiya John mate,
No trouble with this battery. My cousin gave me it after tbe last one packed in.
The last was fine then suddenly gave out without warning. Was cranking fine then one morning wouldn't turn.
Just trying not to get caught out again.
Thanks again john, will try as you suggested.. Cheers mate

Batteries can fail suddenly, you used to get some warning but not always these days. What make battery is it?

Sponsored Links
It's a long time ago but I had a battery in a Rover 214 fail when the car was about 2 years old. Went shopping, got back to the car and battery was as flat as a pancake. Asked someone for a jump start and the plastic handles on my jump leads broke!
A reasonable brand battery should be OK at 4 if it's been well treated but I wouldn't rely on it. OK for use as a spare.

A cheap battery combined with little use and short jouneys are a poor combo (as I found out on a 2 year old battery in a Ford Focus a couple of years ago). That battery was replaced with a Bosch and hasn't given any trouble since.

Micras are good starters, and spin over readily on the starter as a rule. I doubt if you'd get any issues during the summer months but it could be a different story in the northern winter......any reluctance and I think I'd be looking for a Bosch or Varta replacement, if you are offered one.
Regards
John :)

Auto batteries are a bit of con really - usually a so-called 3 year guarantee means a faulty battery will be replaced FOC within 12 months or at a percentage of the new price according to the unexpired portion of the remaining 2 years. I simply buy a standard auto-shop battery specified for the vehicle, products costing double the price (as an example) never give twice the service life & for some unaccountable reason the original product fitted by the vehicle's manuf. when new always lasts longer than any replacement :whistle:

Sponsored Links
Back