Replace combo boiler with a flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the combustion chamber is out of bounds and I’m not trying to break in..

I have a combo boiler that needs replacing. It’s a badi and it’s about ten years old and has sludge

what sort of money should I expect to pay to have a new one installed and the existing pipe work flushed??

It is six radiators and a two bed flat.
I’m guessing £900 for the boiler and what for the labour and flush so a days work or am I crazy

is it also worth replacing all the radiators at this point or anything else to future proof system?

Thanks all for a great forum with tons of info !!

Sponsored Links
Depends on what area of the country you're in. If you're in London as your profile suggests then you could be looking at the best part of £1000 for a day's work. £900 will buy you a mid-range boiler, but the flue will be extra. If your present control doesn't comply with Boiler Plus regulations you'll need to have that replaced with one that does. Your installer will need to establish whether the current gas pipe is the correct size, and if not it'll need upgrading.

In other words, much more info is needed to give a guide on price

Here are some pictures - It needs a flush obviously

Im not sure what other info would be needed

Im thinking of replacing the Baxi 600 / Baxi 800 - Any ideas on the difference

\
upload_2020-10-2_10-50-25.png

upload_2020-10-2_10-50-32.png

upload_2020-10-2_10-53-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-2_10-49-39.png
    upload_2020-10-2_10-49-39.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 212
1. There is nothing in the photographs which shouts "sludge!". Looks as if you have had a leak which has gone unchecked / unnoticed at services.
2. The boiler casing has rusted, so you are probably in need of a replacement.
3. When you get it replaced it would be sensible to:
3a. Have a power flush done anyway, although you might get away with a chemical flush done BEFORE the old boiler is removed. So a chemical + hot water flush.
3b. Make sure you get a magnetic filter fitted to the return pipe on the new boiler to catch any further sludge.
3c. I wouldn't replace the radiators. Provided they are sound and internally clean, why go to the extra expense. Also, it doesn't future proof anything, and add a good bit to the cost.
3d. You will probably need new controls to conform with current regulations.
4. Once it is installed, make sure it gets an annual service. Check with the installation manual what a service comprises, and make sure the attending engineer does it all.
5. Very rough guess on costs:
5a. Boiler and flue £1,200
5b. Filter and controls £450
5c Labour - installation £700
5d. Labour - power flush £500
6. Boiler make - down to personal preference, I like Vaillants but others will have their own views.
7. To a large extent it doesn't matter what boiler you have, the key to long life is in the installation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for such a comprehensive answer.

Why do you advise against new radiators? They are around £30 each and will have rusted after years in the flat. Isn’t this the time to change the rads when the boiler is off and the pipes all getting flushed? If not now when exactly?
I had a rad replaced a year ago. £150 for labour to drain and swap out

If you swapped the rads and pipework and went for a full wet upgrade, then you wouldn’t need a power flush, but I’d be looking at an independent review of your current setup, obviously we can only advise on photos and descriptions, but there could be some detail that’s lacking.

I won’t be replacing the pipe work. Just the rads and trv and boiler

Is replacing simple white rads really that expensive?

Is replacing simple white rads really that expensive?

Not really, but we don’t know if your currents rads are imperial or metric, so could be additional pipe costs and then you’d still need a flush of some sort depending on your water sample quality.

Have you been told you have sludge?

If you are changing the rads and the boiler you wont need a power flush, a quick chemical flush as part of the boiler swap will be fine

I’ve been told I have sludge by none other than British Gas. I know they are not great but the boiler has been playing up for years and one rad had a pinhole leak and the boiler is ten years okd and winter is coming.

so yeah I m pretty sure I have sludge

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Still might be worth a second opinion, and obtain a quote at the same time?

I had someone come over today in London

gas safe engineer recommended.

he wanted £600 for labour to flush replace boiler and flue and add a filter. He will also give me a gas safety certificate. No radiators to change

That does not sound too bad although it will take him one day max so £600 for a days labour is mot so bad

anyway I think it’s useful for others to know in case they are weondering

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back