Replace double one-way light switch with Single

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All - hopefully a simple one but I can't find my exact query answered here already...

I have a double switch operating two ceiling lights independently. I want to replace this with a sinlge dimmer switch which will operate both lights together. Do I just need to connect the L1 and N wires from the separate switches together in the new switch or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If there are four or more wires connected to the switch then it probably is more complicated.

A picture of the rear of the switch will help to get best advice.

Do both lights operate from the same fuse / MCB in the fuse box / consumer unit ? If not from the same fuse / MCB then you cannot control both lights from a single switch.

It might be easier to ignore the dimmer and use a double pole switch, This is two switches both operated by the same rocker.

Hi, before you get scared off ! Post a picture of the wiring of the existing switch then we can advise without guessing and making it sound very complicated when it maybe very straight forward.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Do I just need to connect the L1 and N wires from the separate switches together in the new switch or is it more complicated than that?
There won't any any N conductors connected to the switch - with light switches black/blue cable cores are NOT neutrals.

I think you really should spend a bit of time learning how things work before fiddling with them - hoping to do electrical work on the basis if just following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without genuinely understanding why is not a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back