Replace Drayton Lifestyle LP111 and Danfoss TP5000 thermostat with Smart system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Setup
  • ideal combi boiler
  • Drayton Lifestyle LP111 (Heat water)
  • Danfoss TP5000 thermostat (Control Central Heating)
I would like to replace above system with smart.

Which device I need to replace Drayton Lifestyle LP111 with Smart and Danfoss TP5000 thermostat with Smart

Attachments

• IMG_20211130_205719.jpg
    IMG_20211130_205719.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20211130_205727.jpg
    IMG_20211130_205727.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20211130_205753.jpg
    IMG_20211130_205753.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20211130_205756.jpg
    IMG_20211130_205756.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20220312_142320.jpg
    IMG_20220312_142320.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20220312_142440.jpg
    IMG_20220312_142440.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20220312_142519.jpg
    IMG_20220312_142519.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
Your Drayton is a time clock for the heating, nothing to do with hot water as you have a Combi boiler, this just sends on/off to thermostat, which is a thermal switch. Replace with your choice, but be aware that opening some boilers are a no-no for diy’ers.

And what do you mean by “smart”

:?:
You beat me to it. I fitted smart thermostats to mothers house IMGP8035.jpg they connect to a hub which in turn connects to router and internet, it allows the temperature to be set to change at set times, but the much simpler thermostat EQ3-Straight-213x300.jpg also allows that, and the cheaper one also has a door open detect so it turns off the heating while I unload shopping, but it does not have the IFTTT (If this then that) options which the first has so can't be set to geofence.

Although the first thermostat can geofence the anti-hysteresis software is OTT, so to get the room to 20°C when turning on at 7 am by 8 am had to cheat and set to 22°C at 7 and 20°C at 8.

The Drayton Wiser thermostat (TRV) is claimed to have algorithms which work out how long it take to heat the room, so can adjust the time when it opens to suit. It can also connect to a wall thermostat or hub to tell it when any room needs heat, and the wall unit can connect to an OpenTherm boiler using OpenTherm.

You only show wall thermostat, in the main the wall thermostat is designed to stop a modern boiler cycling as warm weather arrives, they are put in a room normally kept cool (so they can detect warm weather earlier) on ground floor (as heat raises) where there is no alternative heating including sun through windows, and no outside doors. Don't know your house, but in my house no such room.

So we have to compromise, for example in the hall, but since hall does have outside door, we need to also have a TRV to allow fast recovery when door opened but not getting too hot so it closes down system, the relationship between the wall thermostat and the TRV can be simply using same program of temperature setting, but far easier to set up if they are wifi linked.

So a wall thermostat like this EVO-home1.jpg Evohome example allows you to set what the rooms do from either the wall thermostat or likely a computer or smart phone, but some systems only allow you to set with the computer or smart phone, this one IMGP8035.jpg is an example, this looks good on the PC TRV_report.jpg but you can't set up without a PC or smart phone, where as this one EQ3-Straight-213x300.jpg can use bluetooth but also can be set manually, plus I only paid £15 for them each, and they require no wiring you simply unscrew the original and replace with the eQ-3, the terrier i30 terrier-i30.jpg is the same idea.

I actually fitted a Nest Gen 3 to my house, mainly as only two wires to boiler, and with two wires it could charge it and send information for domestic hot water and central heating with just two wires, Hot water boost.jpg it was claimed it worked with the TRV's I already had (Energenie) that was incorrect, it does not connect to any TRV and although may be great with hot air central heating or open plan house, it is not really much good with British system.

As to geofencing yes it had it, but when we had the high winds earlier this year it took out the EE mast local to my house so it thought I was not home and turned off the central heating unless I walked past the thermostat, when the built in PIR detected me and switched heating back on, took me a while to work out what was going on, so now geofencing is disabled.

I have used the IMGP8035.jpg remote in the summer, to tell me room temperature and decide if to turn on the socket connected to the AC unit to cool house before my return, and it seems one could use IFTTT to do this automatic, although never tried it, since we only get 2 or 3 weeks where we used the AC it seems pointless.

Some Ideal boilers are OpenTherm enabled, but combi means the DWH and CH is done by one boiler, it does not mean the boiler can capture the latent heat from flue gas and modulate, it just means one boiler does two jobs.

If you can use OpenTherm it will need some rewiring. And some so called Smart thermostats can't be used with OpenTherm, so as @Taylortwocities says what do you consider smart is, and what do you want smart to do? I could simply plug my boiler into a smart socket adaptor and switch it on/off remotely, no need for smart thermostat for that, as to geofencing I found when using it there was no option to set distance, only setting I had was eco temperature and comfort temperature, so I could not set it to come one when say 30 miles from home, and it takes my heating over half and hour to heat home from off, so in real terms it was useless, and I simply would forget to set using phone, so simple time was far better.

So what do you want "Smart" heating to do? In spite of the adverts smart meters for example are rather basic, clapping your hands once fitted will not turn the lights on and off. The word smart seems to be used when really the units are not really smart, it just means in some way they connect to internet, so what do you want smart to do.

Sponsored Links
What I mean by smart system.

Replace my current system with something like

Hive
Nest
Ok. You have answered your own question. Either of those boxes of tricks can switch your heating on and off.

You only need a single channel device, to replace the LP111 and control the heating.

Ok. You have answered your own question. Either of those boxes of tricks can switch your heating on and off.

You only need a single channel device, to replace the LP111 and control the heating.

My question is that at the moment what I have can it be replace with smart system without any new wiring or modification to current system.

I would like to replace it with following system as its in my budget

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000398480147.html

Hive only turns on/off, it will not work with OpenTherm.
Nest will not work with wifi links to TRV's.
Drayton Wiser will work with OpenTherm (with an add on module) and with TRV's
Honeywell Evo home also same as Drayton Wiser but the wall mounted bit allows setting the TRV's
EPH does not work with TRV's but does work with motorised valves and OpenTherm you set thermostats as master slave.
Tado not good at saying what they do, some versions do have OpenTherm and do work with TRV's
MiHome Energenie does work with TRV's but seems the wrong way around, wall thermostat tells the TRV what to do.
moes thermostat about the cheapest, many versions, think Zigbee, not really looked into them.

They can all replace the thermostat you have, and all have plus and minus features, you need to work out which you want, there is no best or worst, just different. Be aware some need a special hub, personally I would not use Nest however their Nest e is the only one where the base is battery powered, careful with moes as many versions some designed really for underfloor heating and the ebus used seems to be a commercial one so in UK simply on/off.

So also do other things, I have Energenie smart light switches and sockets, same goes for Moes, so it may be one allows you to use some thing else which makes it better for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back