Replacing danfoss with hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would like to replace my Danfoss (not sure if TP4000 or TP5000) with a smart thermostat and I was thinking of going with Hive (mini single channel) as I need a battery powered one.

There are just 2 wires of my Danfoss, one that connect to com and one to on. (None of them is a permanent live, I checked with a multimeter)

I have a combi boiler and the thermostat controls just the heating

Would a hive thermostat be compatible with it?
Would it be enough just to wire the 2 wires to com and on like to like?

I'm not an expert, so I hope I was clear enough!

Attachments

• IMG_20230601_164517.png
    IMG_20230601_164517.png
    383.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20230303_140644.jpg
    IMG_20230303_140644.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
The only wireless base for a thermostat as far as I know is the Nest e, all others need mains to the base, but remote control may be battery powered.

It is frowned upon to power a base with mains not supplied by the boiler, I personally see no problem with volt free contacts, but the Drayton wiser and Hive have multi versions of their thermostats which all fit the same base, single, double and triple channel and only the single channel is volt free, so easy in future to make an error, so can see why most boiler manufacturers say all must be on the same circuit.

There are two basic types of thermostat, on/off and analogue, you may want to see if your boiler can use the analogue thermostat first, they are better, Hive does not have analogue option, also some thermostat will link to the TRV heads, Nest does not, and Hive will only work if the thermostat is under 22ºC.

The geofencing also varies, with Nest the only control is the Eco and Comfort temperatures, you can't set the distance, it seems with some you can set distance from home when the heating comes on.

Also there is the time setting, most you set time to come on, but some Drayton Wiser TRV heads for example you set time you want room to temperature by, and the thermostat (TRV head) works out how far before that time it needs to turn on.

Some you need a phone to set things with, some the wall mounted human machine interface (HMI) does it
EVO-home1.jpg
you don't need your phone to set it all.

I will admit I got it wrong and fitted Nest Gen 3, which for me has not worked very well, as it does not connect to the TRV heads, but in the last house it would have worked fine, as open plan. There is no one smart thermostat that suits all, you need to work out which suits you, for example it seems only EPH do a thermostat which will work with opentherm and on/off motorised valves, but it does not also work with analogue motorised valves (Smart TRV heads) so it all depends on your home, your boiler, and your life style.

Hive should be compatible with it, but you do need a permanent live and permanent neutral for it to work plus those 2 switching wires. If you state which combi, it might be doable with our assistance, or get a Nest E as per @ericmark which would only need the 2 wires, or a standard 2 wire thermostat.

Sponsored Links
The whole point of something like Hive is that the receiver can be fitted near the boiler where there are all the wires you need - and it doesn't require a cable to the thermostat position (for example in the living room).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back