Replace electric shower during central heating replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The property I am buying currently has a very old central heating system (conventional boiler, tanks in loft, hot water tank with immesrsion heater) and also has an electric shower in the bathroom.

If I were to have the entire DHW and CH system replaced with a combi boiler driven system then would the electric shower have to be replaced as well? Or does this depend on how water is fed to the electric shower (i.e. from HW tank or directly from mains)?

Sponsored Links
you can keep the shower if you wish even if it is tank fed.
many do keep them as your combi is bound to break down.

what model shower is it then we can tell you if its tank/mains fed ?

^ Not sure yet as i'm not expecting to move (complete) for around 6 weeks yet. However, I spoke with the vendor today and she told me it was definitely an electric shower and had been installed within the last 4 years. I may just replace the flexible pipe and showerhead if it's possible to do so.

If its a power shower (makes a lot of noise, contains a pump and no heater), then it will need replacing as it relies on gravity fed water from tanks. It cannot be fed with mains pressure - your whole system will be mains pressure when you have finished replacing the heating system.

If it is an electric shower (containt heating elements, but no pump, makes less noise) then it can stay, provided it is plumbed in correctly.

Sponsored Links
Many on here will say keep the electric shower in case the combi breaks down.

If it were me, I would rip the electric shower out anyway. A decent thermostatic shower valve fed with hw from the combi will give a much better shower than an electric. The flow on some of these is pathetic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back