replace existing wood 6x2 beams with rsj or leave as is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi their people,

I need some help with making a decision on whether to replace the existing 6x2 beams or leave in place?

I want to remove all the wood and glass frame underneath the wood beams beams but I am concerned if the uprights of the door frame are giving some sort of structural support ?
All help will be greatly appreciated and sorry if the post is not the best trying to do this from my phone :)

Sponsored Links
Without knowing what load there is above the opening, the span and the bearing for the timbers nobody can tell you from a photo.

Gut feel would be that the door frame will be providing some (proportion unknown) support.

Get a SE to take a look and spec a steel to replace the timber lintels

As above, you would need to give more details of loading, span, any new structure above it etc.
But looking at that pic, I would say two 6x2s would not be sufficient if it's supporting a 1st floor wall above.

Sponsored Links
As above, you would need to give more details of loading, span, any new structure above it etc.
But looking at that pic, I would say two 6x2s would not be sufficient if it's supporting a 1st floor wall above.

REPLACE WITH SAME SIZE STEEL BEST BET

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back