Replacing wood beam with RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I'm currently extending my 175yr old cottage. At the moment there is a small, flat roofed extention on the back. The original pitched roof and the flat roof meet on a wooden beam and as I'm adding another pitched roof the flat roof will be going. The architect has said I need to replace the existing wood beam with steel. How big a deal is this likely to be? The span is about 10m and it is supported by walls in four places along it's length. Would it be possible to leave it in-situ as it's got so much support? Sorry for the long winded and thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Impossible to answer, you will need to employ someone to design the replacement beam and do a site visit.. look for a local structural engineers.. maybe your Architect can recommend one.

Ask the Architect if there is another design option of supporting the new roof without needing to remove the existing beam

Sometimes you find that they take the easy option as its easy to draw a new beam, but he wont be installing it ... or paying for it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back