Flat Roof and Beam Sizes....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

Fairly tricky to put into words but hopefully someone with the know-how or has come accross a similar project will be able to help....

I have a garage that measures 2.4m wide and 10m long, it has a standard flat rood with 4x3 wooden beams that support the roof cross ways into brickwork peers, the brickwork is a single course all round.

I am looking to remove one wall and take the 2.4m beams accross to my house therefore making the width 3.4m. I then plan on glazing the extra metre with standard conservatory glazing, this is 1m wide and will come in sheets that span the length of the garage which is 10m.

I plan on using 4x3 IBeam steels to replace the wood but I'm still wondering if three 4x3 IBeams will be man enough for a 3.4m x 10m structure that will hold a 2.4m x 10m flat roof as well as the 1m x 10m glazing.

Can someone put me at ease that these will cope or should I go for a thicker steel or perhaps even more peers? Obviously I want to keep costs down but not if this will be dangerous, especially with snow/rain loads on top....?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
I plan on using 4x3 IBeam steels to replace the wood
Which wood? All of it? Why?

but I'm still wondering if three 4x3 IBeams will be man enough for a 3.4m x 10m structure
Whatever they are made of, three beams over a 10m length will give you a span of 5m. What use is that?
Surely you can't mean 3 beams 10m long?

I then plan on glazing the extra metre with standard conservatory glazing, this is 1m wide and will come in sheets that span the length of the garage which is 10m
Hopefully you don't mean a single piece 1mx10m?
And the 'extra' is all very well, but what is happening with the rest of the roof?

Very confusing.

Sketch something out and post the image

I don't understand what is happening with the glazing sheets .. or how they will be fitted

And surely you are not using 17 4x3 steel joists to form the roof? Amongst many issues, how are you going to fix you deck boards to them?

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys, obviously didnt make it clear, I'll expand:

My 2.4m wide by 10m long garage has four brick walls keeping the roof up along with three 4x3 wooden struts that run width ways evenly spaced down the garage.

The garage stands one metre adjacent to my house. I plan on removing the 10m section of wall closest to my house and replacing the three 4x3 wooden struts with 3.4m wide steels. The roof will remain on the three walls plus the new steels that will now stretch an extra metre over to my house.

The metre that is uncovered will be covered by conservatory glazing. The idea being I will step out the side of my house directly into a 3.4m x 10m garage.

The exam question is the thickness and amount of steels used to keep the weight of the roof and the glazing up, especially as they are now 3.4m wide rather than the current 2.4m. Hopefully this explains the situation?

Struggling to upload a pic unf.

Thanks for your efforts to date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back