Roof joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone tell me, if I have a garage 7m X 7m and i want to put a flat roof on top will i have to use steel beams as you can't get wooden joist's 7m long. Should I run 2 steel beams across the roof and span them with 4X2 and then stirling board on top. Can someone point me in the right direction. :LOL: what size I beams will I need so the roof won't sag :D

Sponsored Links
perhaps fit a 205mm x 105mm rsj at centre span, wall to wall, bolt a 100mm x 50mm timber on top using m12's, then 150mm x50mm joists should suffice. building controll or a structural engineer are the best to advise or confirm.

Cheers for that noseall, you have given me a great idea, maybe raise the rsj off the wall at each end and create more of an apex roof rather than a flat roof :D this would be better for water run off.
in your opinion do you think this rsj would do the job, don't really want to get structual engineers involved how much do they charge :?:
Is there any websites you know off that could help me out

cheers again

pitched roofes (apex) steal light from your neighbours and require planning permission, a whole new animal. tread carefully my friend!

Sponsored Links
7m span is quite large, youll be looking at a single 203x203UC section running mid span probably with 170x47 C16 joists for the flat roof.
Laying the structure flat then using firrings to create a 1:80 fall is the simplest way. A structural engineer will probably charge about £100 for a single beam design, costs you nothing to get a quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back