Replace failed LEDs with normal diodes in Christmas lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 3 sets of connectable Christmas lights that I usually join together, but this year one set has failed:

http://www.castlegatelights.co.uk/l...nnectable-red-led-outdoor-lights-p11251#11351

...the sets are no longer available, and the LEDs are soldered and sealed in place.

It looks like 3 bulbs in the set aren't working at all, whereas the others in the set light, but very dimly. It don't think it's a wiring issue, and I get the same result whether the set is plugged into one of the other sets or straight into the main connector; the other sets are fine. A tag on the wire of each set lists "LED data: 0.04W, 1.8-2.1V"

To be honest, I'm not particularly worried about 3 lights being out in the problem set, if the others worked.

With the above in mind...and seeing as these are external and I want to make a nice weatherproof seal...is there any reason I can't just hard replace the 3 bulbs that have failed with normal diodes rather than LEDs? I guess I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly :D ) that doing this with an appropriate diode would avoid impact on the other lights versus complete removal.

Sponsored Links
If they are wired in series, wouldn't putting a diode in a place of an LED then increase the voltage going to all the other LEDs those shortening the life?

The short answer is no, a diode (bog standard silicon) drops around 0.7v forward biased. Your LEDs are around 2v. It would be possible to drop 2.1v by using 3 diodes in series.
Without seeing how the LEDs are connected and the PSU info it isn't possible to say how they can be fixed.

Sponsored Links
If you are going the trouble of replacing the dead / suspect LEDS with three diodes per dead LED you might as well buy LEDs of the same colour and replace LED with working LED.

As mentioned if you replace with a single diode the other diodes will likely be over volted or over current and will fail soon. The fact that 3 have failed suggest the strings are designed to run the LEDs close to maximum safe limits.

If you are going the trouble of replacing the dead / suspect LEDS with three diodes per dead LED you might as well buy LEDs of the same colour and replace LED with working LED.

Well, that wasn't my original plan - hence the question.
But, yes, if it's 3 diodes per LED then that does seem silly :D .

The LEDs on the string are as in the picture - they're stamped DMC but are sealed with the wires inside, so I'm assuming I won't find a like for like replacement. Also, I'm not much bothered about what the three replacements end up looking like, seeing as I was going to get rid of them anyway - I just want the whole string back in service.

So - given what I know about the sort of LEDs I'm looking for (which is basically all that's on the string label - "LED data: 0.04W, 1.8-2.1V"):

* Am I just looking for any old LED for replacement that fits the listed voltage range?
* If not, is there more I can determine with a multimeter that might pin down the details of what I need as adequate replacements?

Thanks

...the sets are no longer available, and the LEDs are soldered and sealed in place.
That's where you went wrong.

Yep :( . Konstsmide were (are, I'm just unlucky?) a reasonably good brand, I thought; I'd seen the local council using the same connectable sets for their own lights, so thought they had some legs. As it stands, this strip has only lasted two Christmases - so ~4 weeks of use for 6 hours a day in total. Then again an LED can just go "pop" regardless, I guess...

* Am I just looking for any old LED for replacement that fits the listed voltage range?
Basically yes, any old LED element of the same ( or very similar colour ) in a clear transparent plastic body should work. Some LEDs are a ultra violet emitter with the UV making a phosper glow. These may have a voltage higher than the LEDs being replaced and while they may work the other LEDs may be dimmer.

Before you take them apart - take note of the way around they are wired by looking through the clear plastic in them.

Thanks all for the input :) .

I have some 10mm red LEDs (clear body) on the way from Ebay with a matching voltage.

The main problem I'm going to have is sealing them under the base at the point the wires are soldered... Was thinking of just creating a small cylinder around the bottom of each (out of...something) and then filling with epoxy, but that doesn't sound ideal - heat-shrink won't cut it, and amalgamating tape would be too fiddly.

Not too bothered about how it looks, more concerned with the seal - any suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back