Replace fibre drain pipe before extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a communal pitch fibre rainwater pipe running across the back of my house. I'm looking to build an extension over it (10 metres) and will require a build over agreement from southern water.

I will adhere to the build over agreement if it suggests replacing the pipe - But if it doesn't should I replace it with plastic anyway? If I do replace it what kind of coupling should I use and how easy will it be to separate the pipe from the concrete over it to get a coupling over the pitch fibre!

Im assuming if it fails and I have a build over agreement then it would be up to southern water to replace the pipe as its used by two properties further up....

Sponsored Links
You will almost certainly have to replace it.

Southern water will prob want cctv before and after.

If think its common to leave 200mm at the manhole and connect to that.

It's worth noting that pitch fibre has asbestos content - not a big issue and easy to manage, avoid abrading the pipe and don't use a disc cutter on it without suitable PPE and equipment.

I would want all the pitch fibre pipework out of the ground - the stuff is a liability and how it was ever approved is beyond me.

Thanks guys - What i'm worried about is trying to chip away the concrete to get a connector on it and the pitch fibre falling to bits. Is there some form of socket that will go inside the pitch fibre that would then connect to a plastic pipe?
I cant go from manholes unless I start digging up the neighbours gardens! Although I could offer to replace it to their manholes (other side of road has had problems with collapsing drains)

Sponsored Links
A 'Fernco' coupling is the usual approach but it may not be accepted by water authority.

I assume with this the coupling has to be on the outside of the two pipes? Hopefully I could expose some of the pitch fibre beneath the concrete. Maybe I can 3D print a coupling to go inside the pitch fibre!

A 'Fernco' coupling is the usual approach but it may not be accepted by water authority.

The problem with inserting anything inside the (existing) pipe is that it will form a ridge on which debris will collect. The flow needs to go from male to female couplings.

The problem with inserting anything inside the (existing) pipe is that it will form a ridge on which debris will collect. The flow needs to go from male to female couplings.
True, So it would be OK for one end and not the other. Fingers crossed they have used fairly weak concrete!

True, So it would be OK for one end and not the other. Fingers crossed they have used fairly weak concrete!
There is a good chance they have - for rainwater - and quite often you find the concrete will come off easier in layers rather than breaking straight down (y)

Flexseal have their 'Icon' range of internal couplings, you may get away with one as a last resort on a Rainwater drain, but I would check, (and get it in writing), the Water Co will accept their use. https://www.flexseal.co.uk/products...fit-100-150mm-internal-coupling/#.XcL02W52vIU

These are a relative newcomer to the drainage market, and I'm not sure how tried and tested they are currently, would certainly have reservations about using one on a foul sewer, for obvious reasons. Possible if fitted correctly to a smooth bore pipe, then there will be no 'lip' to catch debris, but that remains to be seen.

These look great!

Flexseal have their 'Icon' range of internal couplings, you may get away with one as a last resort on a Rainwater drain, but I would check, (and get it in writing), the Water Co will accept their use. https://www.flexseal.co.uk/products...fit-100-150mm-internal-coupling/#.XcL02W52vIU

These are a relative newcomer to the drainage market, and I'm not sure how tried and tested they are currently, would certainly have reservations about using one on a foul sewer, for obvious reasons. Possible if fitted correctly to a smooth bore pipe, then there will be no 'lip' to catch debris, but that remains to be seen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back