fibre washers - how long do they last?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How long do fibre washers last?

We've got a power shower in our bathroom. The water from the pump comes down a pipe that's hidden in a stud wall and then connects onto a pipe feeding a fixed head. The connection is inside the wall and seals with a fibre washer.

What's concerning me is that if the washer fails we'll have to rip open the wall and therefore end up having to re-plaster a section of wall.

I remember when I lived in a flat years ago, there were fibre washers in the cistern feed and these would need replacing every couple of years. I mentioned this to the bloke who fitted the bathroom but he insisted it wouldn't be a problem.

Before I fix plasterboard onto the other side of the wall, should I make efforts to replace the fibre washer with something else or should I stop worrying? I don't really fancy having to tear down the wall every 2 years to replace washers.

Sponsored Links
i never use fibre washer fittings on showers enclosed in walls always use male iron fittings

Be glad that you have nothing more important to worry about.

I am just a householder but I agree it is folly to sink showers into walls and tile over them. Sooner or later they all go wrong.

I think there is a lot to be said for a surface-mounted shower fed by chromed surface-mounted pipes. What's wrong with seeing pipes and taps in a bathroom?

Or you could use a removable marine-ply panel if you like. It can be tiled, and you can seal the joints with white silicone that you can cut away when it has to come off.

Sponsored Links
the thread on it is BSP known to most as 'iron' because it was always used on steel pipe

Fibre washers are fine, good for 25 years if installed properly and left undisturbed.

Any diy work should be accessible for repairs.
Thermostatic showers should always be accessible

Depends what you mean by DIY - I'd call it DIH because the fitter did it himself :)

The shower pumps are easily accesible though without having to undo anything.

One of my old buddies I visited at Christmas was cursing his leaking shower pump.

20 years ago when he was thin and agile he hid it under the back of his corner bath.

now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back