Replace flash timer with Drayton wiser 1

Thanks for all the answers.
Apologies if this is tedious.

Remember that all I want is a way to remotely program my heating - I am there at sporadic times so a fixed 24h or weekly timer doesn't work for me. I want to be able to turn it on before I get home, which is random.

Would the following be possible:

Leave my current thermostat wired to the Motorised valve supplying the rads.
Turn my Drayton thermostat up to the Max.
Replace my 24h timer with the Drayton and just turn it on or off remotely from that app, or program it as I want.

You have an antiquated and inefficient system and are trying to fit 'state of the art' controls to a something not designed for it. The Wiser website states that: Wiser is not compatible for systems that lack water cylinder thermostats, and motorised valves.
I realise that, but I am not looking for anything too fancy apart from some form of remote control. I did check with the shop before I bought the wiser and they recommend this device for me after I explained my setup.
I was happy to go along with the one channel because my current switch only seems to have one output so I figured that's all I need.
Maybe I have misunderstood how the Drayton wiser works.

Sponsored Links
BTW I am happy to get the two channel and any trvs if I can get the system to work. My only restriction is the wiring, the boiler and current switch are in a separate room from the hw cylinder and MV so I cant easily rewire from on to the other.
If there is a solution via wireless I can do that.

You might use the wiser set up in the following way:
1) just replace the timer module with the wiser programmer and use only 1channel for on-off timed boiler control. (Call this channel "boiler on-off) link the channel to the boiler as per the existing switch. Use the HW channel as this cares not about temperature control.

2. Substitute the existing thermostat for the wiser thermostat on the CH channel.
This will energise your mv in accordance with the wifi thermostat.

Your system should work as it is.

* The hw channel cares not about temps (as per you current timer).
2) the wiser system has no idea what happens once the channel is energised. Just because you have not completed the traditional s plan interlock, the hub cares not. It sses you are asking for heat. It switches 240v on.
Thats it.

Check my logic but i can't see how that isn't the same as you have now albeit a bit odd....

Then, you can save up and get the heating logic sorted properly.

Ymmv. At your own risk. Investments rise and fall. Don't stick your dick in crazy etc.etc.

Sponsored Links
So here's a suggestion for you. In this scenario, the Immermat will control the pump and boiler to heat the Hot Water cylinder. I believe this is the arrangement you have now and assume that there is some form of by-pass somewhere that allows water to circulate when the manual thermostat on the hot water cylinder closes. [It maybe external or inside the boiler.] If my assumption of the current arrangement is correct, then:

1. When the Immermat is 'on' only hot water will be generated as described above.

2. The Wiser One channel will take control of the Central Heating, and open the motorised valve. If the Immermat is already 'on' that's fine as the boiler and pump will already be running. If the Immermat is 'off' then microswitch inside the motorised valve will start the boiler and pump.

This way the Immermat will control the heating of the hot water and the Wiser will have full control of the central heating and boiler when required. (y):giggle:

Screenshot 2023-12-11 091914.jpg

It would mean that whenever the Central Heating was switched 'on' by the Wiser, the Hot Water would be heated as well, but this would be the case now and occurs because of the lack of a Hot Water motorised valve.

EDIT
I'm not sure of the internal workings of the immermat timer, so please check the terminals are actually marked as per the version I've shown. If it's a dual pole controller and isolates both N and L, then the existing link between the two N terminals that you have now should be retained. Otherwise, the Wiser won't be able to control the boiler and pump.

aaa.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back