Replace floorboard with ply sheet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need some advice on replacing upstairs floorboards in a 1920/30's terraced house.

Outside one of my bedrooms is a really squeaky floorboard, I tried to replace it but due it a pipe under it I am unable to screw it don when the join is, I tried to put a screw as close as I could but it has become squeaky again.

Could I cut a square out of the floor boards and use a piece of ply to cover over the piped area. or should I rip up all the floor boards and lay ply down?

Sponsored Links
A photo would help as it's hard to be sure exactly what you have there.

A photo would help as it's hard to be sure exactly what you have there.

I will try and get one later tonight when I get in but I will try and describe it a bit better.

I have a t&G floorboard that has a join that goes over a couple of pipes, there is not room to screw it down near the edges so it squeaks I was hoping to cut a few floorboards next it it out and replace it with a piece of ply.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Yes I assume the pipe runs the same way as the boards, so working in a fillet of batten will be no help.

I think your solution is the best way to solve it, always drill a clearance hole through the board first so the screw only bites in the joist, that way the board will be pulled down tightly. Only question is will you have a similar problem further along the board or do you have a bit more "meat" on the joist further up?

If so go for it! :D

Yes I assume the pipe runs the same way as the boards, so working in a fillet of batten will be no help.

I think your solution is the best way to solve it, always drill a clearance hole through the board first so the screw only bites in the joist, that way the board will be pulled down tightly. Only question is will you have a similar problem further along the board or do you have a bit more "meat" on the joist further up?

If so go for it! :D
Yes the joist has a cut out in it an the pipe run across it right when I need to put the screw to stop the squeak. A little further across I can get to the full joist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back