Replace light switch - can I?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been posted in the incorrect place and I know this may be answered in some regulatory document, but I thought it might be easier to try and get a quick Yes or No. I have a 3 way light switch that operates lights under the cupboards in the kitchen, the main kitchen light and the dining room light. The switch for the dining room light has broken and so the fitting needs to be replaced. My question is am I allowed to replace this switch?

It probably does need to be done soon as when I turn on the main kitchen light it now also turns on the dining room light!?

I would rate my DIY skills as about 1 out of 10. I did take the front of the fitting off to have a look and the wires do not have very much give at all. If I decided to get someone else to do it, would anyone know what kind of cost I would be looking at?

Thanks for the help and advice.

D

Sponsored Links
it's fairly simple as long as you take note of what wires go where before you remove the front..

take photos fromclose up and at different angles..

I have a 3 way light switch that operates lights under the cupboards in the kitchen, the main kitchen light and the dining room light.
FYI when buying a new switch that's not a 3-way it's a 3-gang.

3-way means light(s) switched from 3 locations, so unless any of the lights that this switch works are also worked from other switches what you want is a 3-gang 1-way switch.....

from whats described it could be 2 way, but alas it is a 3 gang switch. would cost £20 plus cost of switch from someone decent, even less if thier nice.

Sponsored Links
that's what I figured, but don't know where the OP is, it'll be about £40 plus the switch in central london ( costs you a tenner to park you car for an hour down there ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back