Replace odd shaped old board loft hatch with insulated one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just bought a split level flat. An oldish, probably 20's or 30's build hotel that was converted into flats some 30+ years ago. I'm top floor.

I have two loft hatches, just wooden boards resting on a frame. Cant measure them properly atm as I lack a ladder (but I've bought a telescopic one I expect next week). I did manage to pile some boxes of books up on a foot stool and get a measure of one of them but only to within a cm or so of accuracy as it was a bit of a stretch, then browsed the usual places to see what was available.

Nothing pre made was close to the right dimensions, length wise found a couple that were about right but width wise everything was way too big or too small. A friend who knows DIY much better than me will be fitting it and I will be helping. He has suggested packing out the sides with timber and using expanding foam to insulate any gaps. The look from inside the roof is unimportant as I only need access to store some boxes of stuff up there after I insulate it and possibly board out a small section. Is my friends suggested method the best way of dealing with this?

As browsed I found that there are many different types, looking at reviews of those that there were reviews for on Amazon etc I found a lot of negative comments mainly about flimsiness of construction, poor quality insulation etc. Some people slagging off specific brands others just saying a particular unbranded product was naff. So I looked elsewhere and found that other websites were selling the same products as on Amazon and ebay but just at a higher price, special made to measure ones are very pricey. Any advice on this? A good brand etc? Is made to measure going to benefit me most? My main aim being insulation, air tightness and sturdiness.

Sponsored Links
These type of loft hatches do tend to be flimsy, but fitted in properly, they do work. You're friends suggestion is a reasonable one, but will you need to do any plastering afterwards. Alternatively, could you not just glue some insulation onto the back of the current loft hatch, and set a draught proof seal in a small lip under the trap door.

I like the idea of that! What would you recommend for the draft proof seal? And when you say glue some insulation on the back would say 50mm of Quintherm/Kingspan or similar product do the trick with a load of super glue or would a different insulator/glue be better? It sounds like a lot less hassle then the other way especially as I will only need access occasionally.

If you added a 25x15 batten around the hatch, then you could put some draght insluator on it, and that would create a seal. Then you gripfill the insulation (they normally just use polystyrene) but remember that the front edge of the insulation has to be slanted so that it misses the batten as the door comes down. I susect that 30mm of PIR shoud be fine as it's not a large area.

Sponsored Links
Ah, they are just push up hatches, wooden boards resting on a frame built into the ceiling between joists, no downwards slanting. I would be accessing the hatch by bracing my telescopic ladder against a wall and bottom of the frame (plenty of frame for this), climbing up and just pushing the board up and away into the attic space. So I was thinking just some https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002OHZX1S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 around the edges would do for air flow stopping. Gripfill is I take it some kind of glue? And I would not need the batten then?

The Gripfill is for gluing the PIR to the hatch. Do I take if from your description, that you've already got some battens around the loft hatch entrance that the hatch rests on, then you'd put the draught proof strip on top of the battens.

Ah, well to be a batten is a small strip of wood but I've never claimed to know much about DIY. Anyway here are some pics

Attachments

• Hatch Above.jpg
    Hatch Above.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Hatch1.jpg
    Hatch1.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 240
The hatch already sits on a small lip, so you just need to clean it off, and put the draght prrof seal onto it, then drop the hatch back into place.

Cool, thanks. Got it. Now I just need some smallish pieces of PIR! No room for overlap above the board/hatch actual size due to surrounding joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back