Replace or Repair Worcester 28cdi RSF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok the problem I have is this
My 15 year old Boiler has developed the following problem, its making a vibration noise through the pipework when hot water for the bath is being demanded, whilst the heating is on.
it also seems im turning up the thermostat on the boiler to get any decent heat out (about 3 on the dial).
I have been told this is the (exchanger because its got clogged up) sediment i presume! by the British Gas engineer that wont replace it as the boiler is still working and its my fault that ive never had the system flushed??? weird because British gas has serviced it from year one.
My questions are
1. Should i replace the boiler and which one will drop in place relatively cheaply.
2. Should i get someone else like worcester to check it over and replace the said item?
Ive been told that even a replacement boiler will only save me £35 a year so replacing it is a bit of a no no but needs must and i dont want to be without heating and hot water.
Any advice ?

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is a combi and gives hot water or heating but only one at a time.

Getting on a bit but they are many still being used and maintained.

BG engineers get a small commission if you accept their power flush, but an independent will do that at half the cost.

It probably does not need power flushing anyway.

Without knowing anything about your boiler I cannot comment on it's condition and if any attention is needed.

But they are relatively solidly built and with a good engineer could be kept going for some time to come.

Tony

You'd save yourself a decent wedge by not paying BG for what is presumably a monthly contract, and just employing a local independent as and when required instead.

Fitting a new boiler isn't automatically going to make all the sludge go away if your system is mucky. Get it cleaned and the fault properly investigated and sorted out and your boiler will carry on running

Thanks guys i agree with your comments but as the BG contract doesnt run out until october 2017 im just hoping it will keep running till i cancel it lol

Sponsored Links
If you've never been advised that your system requires flushing previously you should insist that BG repair your boiler this one time. If I recall, their TnCs state that no other repairs will be made after advising a flush is required. You should have written evidence of that warning. If you have had no warning advice, then challenge them.

Tell BG that you are going to call out Worcester on a fixed price repair and if it is not a sludge problem then you will be forwarding the bill to them, while BG do have some decent engineers they are sadly in the minority and the pressure to sell unnecessary crap like power flushes is very high, and an easy way out for the less experienced ones

He's mugging you off, get him back in to give you the temperatures across the heat exchanger and ask him to put another pump on to make sure that's not the issue.
Don't worry about needing work, Bg are not allowed to quote for upgrades until March I think so tell him you need all the details to call in a third party for the work he advised.
Even if it is blocked Bg t&cs say they will do one sludge related fault on contract so they can then advise you.

Sorry to say ollski but the new t & c says they wont fix
here is what it says
Central Heating:- What’s not included:-  Damage caused by limescale, sludge or other debris – if we’ve told you before that you need to carry out repairs, improvements or a British Gas Powerflush, or a similar process, but you haven’t done so
and i will admit they have advised me of that fact so what i might try and do if the boiler holds out is wait until about march and get an independent to look at it and flush the system and replace parts as necessary on another note tho what boiler will bolt straight in place of the 28cdi i have now?? apart from the obvious another 28cdi or are you gents going to tell me all boilers have a different back plate?? (another rip off!) lol and yes i understand that a flush would still be needed (ie hose pipe to blast round the system!)

You won't get anything to be a complete "straight swap" as the pipework connected to your boiler is in a different order to modern boilers and will almost certainly be a different spacing too. The flue will also need to be replaced

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back