Replace Primatic HW cylinder or go down the Oil Combi Route

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I had a thread going before Christmas about replacing a leaking bathroom Rad on an ancient gravity fed system and the general consensus was to replace my Primatic Cylinder at the same time. I Still haven't got around to doing anything but one evening a new idea came into my head... Oil Combi's! It seems like they aren't particularly well regarded but my thinking was it will free up some much needed space in the bathroom where my hot water cylinder and CW tank reside.
I can pick up a 5 year old Grant Vortex 26kw for a decent price so won't be paying new prices. Are they really that bad?

Pros -
Replaces a 35 year old boiler that desperately needs a service
Frees up space in the bathroom
Probably works out a the same or a bit cheaper than fitting a new cylinder as System really needs updating to S plan or similar at the same time.

Cons -
Are they actually any good? approx 10 rads and water for 2 plus child
Its second hand
My HW main feed is 35mm Dia and CH is 28mm Dia - Does this matter? They would be hard to change.

Sorry a lot of info there.

Thanks in advance for your excellent wisdom!

Sponsored Links
I would never buy a 2nd hand oil combi, even a 'respected' one. ( I earned a good living servicing and repairing oil boilers)
Just to add, You would probably find the flue will need replacing, and depending where and for how long it has been standing, there may well be some pockets of solidified sludge which may render the DHW heatexchanger and pumps ineffective. Also storage of the electronic controls of the boiler and burner may not have suited them, particularly the oil pump which will probably stored 'dry'.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. It was stored inside the house after being removed last year. At about £500 compared to £4k could the parts not be replaced as required? I appreciate this might not be the text book way to do things!

Forgetting about Used vs new, Is the concept of fitting a Combi a good idea or a bad one? and will one work with my fat old pipes?

my thinking was it will free up some much needed space in the bathroom where my hot water cylinder and CW tank reside.
I would be cautious about doing that. If oil and gas boilers are outlawed as is planned and we are forced down the heat pump route, you will need to reinstate a hot water cylinder somewhere.

Sponsored Links
I would be cautious about doing that. If oil and gas boilers are outlawed as is planned and we are forced down the heat pump route, you will need to reinstate a hot water cylinder somewhere.
Good point! But when will that realistically happen? We're planning on doing an extension/some major work in about 5 years so i'm basically trying to find the best/most cost effective solution to see me through until then. Chances are the boiler/HW cylinder will need relocating when/if we do the extension.

My hope in changing the boiler was that it would be more efficient than the 35/40 Year old Trianco TRO. Equally does "they don't make em like they used to" Stand true with oil boilers?

Good point! But when will that realistically happen?
Who knows :rolleyes:......at the moment the plan is new homes can't have them installed from next year, and for existing properties from 2035

My hope in changing the boiler was that it would be more efficient than the 35/40 Year old Trianco TRO. Equally does "they don't make em like they used to" Stand true with oil boilers?
You are comparing fish and fowl. TRO's lasted for years, and as tou point out, are relatively inefficient. Todays boilers are a different breed, built for efficiency, and like other things, built cheaper and from poorer materials. I think that the deadlines about future fittings are already being discussed as manufacturers have said they will have to increase the price of boilers to cover the fines. The car regulations have already been extended. There are lots of dwellings that cannot have a heat pump as there is nowhere to put one. If you are looking at a 5 year span, and feel confident of the boiler, then go ahead. There is only yourself to please/blame. It may work; iy may not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back