Replace rad with new rad with TRV; no other TRVs in house!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been quoted £400 to replace two smallish rads. One of the new rads will have a TRV as I need to accurately control the temp of the room. No other rads in the house have TRVs. We have a hot water tank with a header, both in the airing cupboard and a 'normal' boiler' in the kitchen which is about 18 yrs old.

Is this an expensive quote? What should I be roughly paying?
Will having 1 TRV cause a problem?
Will the TRV allow me to accurately control the rm temp without causing other probs to other rads/heating system?
Are the rads that are to be replaced worth something to me as scrap?
What's my hot water tanks called? Can't remember - something beginning with F. Flats often have them.

Thanks
Staro

Sponsored Links
All bedroom rads should have TRV's.

If your not happy with the price then get more quotes.

Andy

Hi,
if they are supplying the new radiators, this is an average price, given that they install two double radiators of a medium size (800mm).
Yes, you can have a radiator with the TRV only in one room, but it is advisable to have them in every room.
Also I think that now it is a Building Regulation requirement.
If not bothered about Building Regulation, The TRV system works indipendently from the main termostat, however I suggest you never move the main termostat where you have the TRV unless you set the TRV to max.
It won't damage anything, but if the TRV is set to a lower temperature, the other radiators will stay permanently on as the room with the TRV will not reach the set main termostat temperature.

There should not be a TRV in the room where the room thermostat is.

Only give out correct information.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, they are supplying the rads.
The room thermostat is downstairs in the lounge.
The new rad with TRV is an upstairs bedroom.

Any further thoughts?

Is it worth me keeping the rads to attempt to sell as scrap?!

Thanks

There should not be a TRV in the room where the room thermostat is.

Only give out correct information.

Andy
TRV should not be fitted where the main termostat is usually kept, but if they already installed the TRV or the termostat is not fixed, the solution is to keep the TRV on max and let the main termostat control the temperature.
Should and could and would are ideal situations, not solutions to existing problems

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, they are supplying the rads.
The room thermostat is downstairs in the lounge.
The new rad with TRV is an upstairs bedroom.

Any further thoughts?

Is it worth me keeping the rads to attempt to sell as scrap?!

Thanks

You are ok with the TRV upstairs.
Radiators can be scrapped, but don't expect much from them, as they are only steel

The two new upstairs radiators were installed on Friday and are very warm!

However, according to the plumber there is a problem with refilling the system. There is a blockage in the expansion feed tank in the header tank thus the system is refilling a drip at a time! There are 3 other radiators upstairs. One is now hot after lots of bleeding, one is hot at the very bottom and cold at the top with no air coming out and the final one seems cold but water is coming out of the bleed valve when I open it!

Apparently it should eventually refill or we have to fork out for a new header tank in the loft.

Any advice appreciated? How long should I wait? Perhaps the expansion tank is not big enough as the 2 new rads are dble and replaced single?

Yours hopefully
Staro

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back