Replace roof section or whole side?...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping that someone can advise please. We recently got 2 opposing views / quotes about some work we need to do on our roof. We have some slipped / cracked slates that have caused some water damage. Two contractors came to quote, 1st says strip back the first 6-7 rows of tiles (where damaged tiles are), re-felt that section and re tile replacing any damaged with new. Quote £400. 2nd says whole section should come off, new felt on whole section, replace old tiles with brand new tiles. quote £1350.
I have no idea what is required and can't get a 3rd quote to make the decision. Could anyone advise please? Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Tiles or slates?
Slates usually slip because the nails have corroded, if this is the case then the repair is false economy.

I cannot understand why the contractor would suggest a partial strip if it's only a few slates.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, yes, it's slates. I'm assuming that some damage has been done under the slates as there has been water coming through for some time - maybe that's why they are both saying the felt requires replacing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back