Re-roofing in sections in unpredictable weather?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was wondering about doing a new roof, but in Ireland where the rain can be a bit unexpected sometimes. So would it be feasible, say to do the roof in sections, working horizontally and first removing the old slates + felt and lats, maybe 1 vertical meter at a time, then installing the new felt, lats and slates only for that section? Then moving on to the next section above that and repeating the same. And using plastic sheets where new and old sections join in the event of an unexpected downpour...Or is there any other method to prevent the rain entering the attic during re-roofing? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I only strip of 3or4 rows of slates and batons at a time if it looks like rain, so that I can cover up with a roll of roofing membrane quickly, then proceed down the roof.

You mean you start at the top of the roof? Is it not more usual to start at the bottom and work up?

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, so is the following the correct procedure? First remove the top 3 or 4 horizontal rows of tiles and felt and probably lats, then replace them - doing the bottom row of the section first? and then repeat the procedure in the section below that, ensuring that the tops of the first row of tiles are inserted under the last row of the above tiles and so on. Are those the correct steps?

No!
Strip the roof from the top down approX 1M along the full length of the roof.

Roll out the membrane and fix in place.

Repeat process untill you get to eaves.

Then mark out your guage for battens...working from eave to ridge.

You dont tile a roof starting at the ridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back