Re Roofing in sections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have noticed in my loft that is covered in slate with no felt that there has been leaks in the past
yesterday i pulled some wallpaper from the bedromo ceiling and some of the plaster had bowed and broke away.
two of the ceiling joists will need to be replaced when i put up a new ceiling.

my question is.

can a slate roof be repaired in sections?
Mine is showing signs of age and i cannot afford to repalce huge area's at a time.
can for example the bottom meter be removed, rebattered, felt installed etc and then start another section in the future or is this not possible.
also is it possible to get felt installed each time a repair is made or am i going to have to do half of the roof (back then front) at a time.

Sponsored Links
Re-roofing area of slate like that is not cost effective and not easy as the slates are generally fixed in a diagonal line to allow proper fixing so your later idea of front then rear elevation is best, bear in mind of course that you will require scaffold whichever way you do it so costs would mount up quite quickly if you keep putting it up and taking it down.

Hi there
thanks for your info
i think i will get someone round for some maintance till i can afford to do the whole roof.
thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back