replace slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace my slate roof and have a couple of questions:the roof has never had a membrane and I intend to strip off the slates and put down a good breather membrane. There is fibre glass insulation between the rafters ( done from below when the attic was converted). If I'm putting down a breather membrane can I leave the fibre glass insulation or am I better off replacing with maybe 50mm celotex insulation board to leave a 25mm air gap ?

Also there is big price difference between lead for the valleys or GRP valleys. I really want to do the job as best I can so should I use lead ? TIA

Sponsored Links
I would use a grip valley rather than lead, it is easier for use to use and cost you less.
I would use celotex or kingspan.
To save money on your insulation I would look out for seconds quality boards. These usually have flaws on the writing on the boards or minor dents but if they are hidden who cares?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back