Replace slave telephone socket cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m looking to replace a telephone socket face plate. Fairly certain it’s a slave point as have a BT socket at the front of the house where fibre broadband router is connected (I don’t actually use this socket in question).

I assume I can simply replace like for like however unsure re safety- I assume these wires carry a current, but not from my mains supply, so turning power off wouldn’t help? Just checking what precautions needed?

Attachments

• 72FEF1DE-5985-48E1-92CB-C22D9E76CC3B.jpeg
    72FEF1DE-5985-48E1-92CB-C22D9E76CC3B.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 464
Sponsored Links
No need to isolate the mains, it will not make any difference to your phone cables. That socket in the photo has screw terminals, more usually they have IDC, which needs a special tool. If your replacement socket (don't know why you are replacing it?) uses IDC, you will need the IDC tool.

Hi thanks for the reply. It’s for aesthetics only (old one is gold/brass and wanted to replace with chrome the same as electrical sockets).

Photo of replacement socket attached. Looks to just need a small flat head screwdriver.

Was concerned about getting a shock when replacing from wires…

Attachments

• 39A4F6AA-7B49-4DD7-9F54-E3C25757FF9C.jpeg
    39A4F6AA-7B49-4DD7-9F54-E3C25757FF9C.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 105

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back