Replace soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have decided to replace the the soil pipe coming in to my bathroom so that I can fit a new Armitage shanks Sandringham 21 toilet I have purchased.

I am looking for a bit of advice and guidance.

The soil pipe in the bathroom is 82mm 3.25, it is very low to the floor the cent diameter of the existing pipe is 4" from the bathroom floor.

The new toilet outlet is 190mm from the floor.

Would it be best to run the new soil pipe in slightly lower than this, would that be a standard height? Also I assume the soil pipe needs to be slightly angled downwards to the outside?

What is the best way to get through the outside wall inside? Can I remove some brickwork on the outside and the inside then make good the outside and inside walls? I'd rather not go down the route of a core drill. Am I right in assuming the new soil pipe should be 110mm?

Connecting to the outside soil stack... Will it just be a case of removing the old cast iron pipework? Then using an adapter put the new soil pipe work into the stack?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Photo of the outside and inside below...

Sponsored Links
Your soil pipes are 110mm, I would core the hole, you can hire them less hassle than removing bricks of internal and external leafs.
Ideally you wont a slight fall from the toilet to external elbow.
As far as height is concerned measure to centre of pan hole, then mark up on wall an pilot the hole before coring.
Likely you will need a drain connector for soil branch.

Connecting to the outside soil stack... Will it just be a case of removing the old cast iron pipework? Then using an adapter put the new soil pipe work into the stack?

g[/net]
Not quite - you need to remove the lead pipe which is connected to a brass thimble that`s caulked into the branch of the stack - see the "lump " on the pipe , that`s a wiped joint lead/brass - you then need a fernco connector from the brass to your new 110 mm black plastic , and some bends to get you up to the new hole . It won`t be pretty , but that stack is pipenailed to the wall and if it does budge trying to remove it - it`ll be damned heavy - and it`s a b`stard size , being 3 1/4 inch

Hi,

? Can I remove some brickwork on the outside and the inside then make good the outside and inside walls? [/net]
Yes , you can do that and you can remove the old lead pipe @ the same time - now`t wrong with old skool practices like that ;)

Sponsored Links
'Horizontal' waste and soil pipe runs are usually set up with a 2.5° fall - that's why many bends etc are 87.5°, not 90°.

Core drilling will be difficult, if not impossible, if the new and old holes overlap to any great extent. Consider removing a brick (looking at the pointing, that may have been done before anyway), or stitch drilling if you just need to remove a crescent shape.

Thanks for the replies. It's because it is a 3.25" pipe that is causing major problems on the inside that I have come round to thinking that the best job is to replace the whole pipe to the stack.

Reading up on using a core drill I am a bit worried because it looks like it would be safer to get a scaffold.
How much do you think it would cost me to get someone in to do this? Or is it achievable by a diyer?

Thanks again for the replies

Hi,

? Can I remove some brickwork on the outside and the inside then make good the outside and inside walls? [/net]
Yes , you can do that and you can remove the old lead pipe @ the same time - now`t wrong with old skool practices like that ;)

I'd be much more confident going down this route :)

I'd cut the pipe up in small chunks with a hacksaw as well, with a good blade that is. I'd use a angle grinder but I don't fancy bits of metal flying around.

You wont have much hassle cutting the lead! It's soft as putty, could probably cut it with a pair of scissors, not that they'd be much use afterwards! :LOL:

You`re a card , Hugh :LOL: Just use an old carpenters handsaw - or even a new cheapest possible one from a diy shed ;)

Thanks for the replies. It's because it is a 3.25" pipe that is causing major problems on the inside that I have come round to thinking that the best job is to replace the whole pipe to the stack.

Reading up on using a core drill I am a bit worried because it looks like it would be safer to get a scaffold.
How much do you think it would cost me to get someone in to do this? Or is it achievable by a diyer?

Thanks again for the replies
You , and me too would need to hire a tower scaffold - I`m too old to b`gger about with ladders ;) . One thing I would do off a ladder firstly, is get the diameter of the brass stub and clean the paint off it so you can size the fernco ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back