Replace storage heaters?

Sponsored Links
That would reduce the energy used, hence cost and heat.

So comparison not valid.
Just to clarify this, in April 2018 all 3 heaters panels were stripped and resprayed, at the same time they were checked over, all 7 elements checked with a clamp meter, repaired and fully functional. My tenants had stated they could not supply heat all day at that time, they quickly learnt to close the vents before they retired to bed and not open them until they finished work. Weekends they could not supply heat all day and right from the beginning had to supplement with additional heating in evenings.

Three years later the rust had reappeared and some elements had failed - this could have been wiring etc as I measured current in CU where I had to frig wiring to power during peak hours. At that time the decision was made to replace NSH's. I don't know when the failures occurred in that 3 years, their energy bills showed an irregularity but but certainly not conclusive.

From thetime the heaters were replaced there is a dramatic reduction in monthly energy cost and for the first time my tenants were able to use NS heating right through the day, despite the increase in energy costs their November 21, 22, 23 bill are less than November 20 when they started working from home and December 18 (Their first winter there).

I can only repeat my tenants comments, I have no personal experience of running regular electric heating in any form.

OP - be aware that modern storage heaters are LOT20 compliant which means they need an E7 supply and a 24 x 7 supply.

You will probably need to get an additional outlet for your heaters

OP - be aware that modern storage heaters are LOT20 compliant which means they need an E7 supply and a 24 x 7 supply.

You will probably need to get an additional outlet for your heaters
It's also worth noting most of them have built in timing functions so will happily work correctly on a 24h circuit which is at cheap rate overnight. Also there are RF versions so WiFi compatible too.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's also worth noting most of them have built in timing functions so will happily work correctly on a 24h circuit which is at cheap rate overnight. Also there are RF versions so WiFi compatible too.

Yes but you have to set the timer so that the storage heater isn't heating up using peak hours costs ...............

Back to the OP - if he has a storage heater connected to an E7 supply they simply can't change the old heater to a new LOT 20 unit.....................
Correct, the installer will be aware of this and either make the required changes or arrange for them to be made.

Quite frankly I wouldn't expect changing a NSH to be a DIY job. Having said this the actual work involved for a simple heater change is all fairly basic stuff but there is plenty of it.

One last thing to be aware of some NSH's contain asbestos, google for several sites containing details, enter your model and serial number to find out

Thanks, what was the cost for the installation you were charged?

Thanks, what was the cost for the installation you were charged?
Basically I did my own and got one of my employers to officiate the electrics (I'm a non qualified self employed subcontractor)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back