Replace top of gate post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a gatepost which never had a cap on it, as a result the top has rotted somewhat. To replace the whole post would be a royal pain, not to mention ruining the recent re-tarmacing of the drive.

If the post wasn't set in the ground, a scarf joint would be sensible and relatively easy, but I'm not sure if that's the best approach in this case.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
How much needs replacing? Are there any others that you need to match to?

It’s not much actually, the main reason for doing it is to stop the rot spreading. Perhaps 8 inches.

However there’s a brace from the top of the post to the other side, so it needs to be strong enough to support the screwing/bolting of the brace.

There’s no matching to any other posts needed.

I would be tempted to scoop out the worst of the mushy (rotten) wood, fill the hole with preserver or oil, then fit some sort of cap over the top of the post.

Sponsored Links
@scbk Yes that was my first thought, however the bolts for the cross piece go/went through this part. I think I'll just do an in-line lap joint affair with a couple of coach bolts for good measure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back