Replace window but surrounding brickwork and mortar is damag

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of redecorating the kitchen, I was planning on replacing the window as well. Once I removed the surrounding wooden frame, it exposed lots of damaged plaster and mortar and I'm not sure how to proceed.

It seems to be held in with 4 metal brackets and lots of adhesive/ silicone.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic of the outside?

It looks like the old window may have been a box sash window. If your going to fit a new window it may be possible to make it a bit bigger and fit it more to the inside behind the bricks which will reduce the amount of making good.

For the actual making good there are lots of methods:
Plaster board and skim.
Hardwall and skim
Plastic trims
Wood architraves

If the wall itself is structurally sound, you can fill the holes, cracks etc. with expanding foam from a flow control gun, you must get the foam into the crack far enough and fill slowly filling all the space whilst puling the nozzle out again slowly. Once the foam is fully set (according to the directions on the tin) undercut the set foam, paint the porous foam surfaces with PVA white glue and finally filler...pinenot :)

Thanks for taking the time to look and respond.

Here are the external pictures.

I'm not sure what kind of window was originally in, these windows were in when we moved in 8 years ago.

It was all wood architraves that I removed to expose this. which then exposed lots of crumbling plaster and hardwall.

Sponsored Links
So i should make the surround good using either hardwall or foam. They remove the old window and replace it with a new one.

When installing the window do I use cleats or do I just secure it with screws through the window frame?

Cheers

Make good after fitting the new window.
If you have long enough fixings just fix directly into the wall

1. You will have to keep to the exterior reveal width dimension for the new frames.

2. Why not use splayed interior window reveals - google pics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back