Replace Wooden Frames with UPVC or just replace the Glass???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house was a new build 13 years ago. It has Wooded Double glazing. After a very short time, quite of the panels became “blown”. Tbh, we stopped bothering to clean them that often, as they always looked dirty with the stain on the inside of the panels. We also stopped painting them as we planned to replace them with UPVC.

5 years ago, we extended the back & had all new UPVC on the back. Now in the mornings we find that the old windows on the front are dripping with Condensation, while the UPVC ones on the back have virtually none (tiny trace on the coldest days).

The units in the UPVC are nicely spaced (looks about an inch) while the in the Wooden frames, it’s the old ½”

Question is should we replace with UPVC or is it worth replacing just the glass?

Can the new thicker units be fitted into Wooden Frames?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bob

I prefer Traditional in most things, but windows isn't one of them! UPVC just seems more solid & secure, warm & silent and doesn't need painting!!!!

It's just that I could do without the cost right now.

I may try this Plastic Film I've been reading about just for this winter (what's left of it).

5 years ago, we extended the back & had all new UPVC on the back. Now in the mornings we find that the old windows on the front are dripping with Condensation, while the UPVC ones on the back have virtually none (tiny trace on the coldest days).
Double glazing will get more condensation on it if there're moisture in the air. It's all to do with how well ventilated your house is. If you are getting condensation then you need more ventilation

Have a read here //www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

I get condensation in the morning on my bedroom window because of my breathing!

Sponsored Links
Double glazing will get more condensation on it if there're moisture in the air. It's all to do with how well ventilated your house is. If you are getting condensation then you need more ventilation

Have a read here //www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

I get condensation in the morning on my bedroom window because of my breathing!

How come the UPVC windows at the back of the house have zero condensation (maybe a 6" patch on the coldest day), but the old 1/2" units at the front are dripping wet?

The bedroom doors are usually all open, so it can't be humid in one room & not the other.

How come the UPVC windows at the back of the house have zero condensation (maybe a 6" patch on the coldest day), but the old 1/2" units at the front are dripping wet?
Okay, if you double glazed the front room, where is the moisture in the room which you cannot see is going to go now? In theory if you put a plastic bag over your house you will increase more condensation as the moisture in the house cannot escape, it's about getting the balance right with ventilation, make sure the new windows will have trickle vents to help to control it

Sorry Masona, I should have explained better. The Wooden Framed DG at the front of the house all has Trickle Vents. Also, in the Bathroom there is an extraction fan. i really don't believe we have a lack of ventillation.

The wooden frames have quite a lot of paint peeling (which we should & would have addressed had the panels not Blown) & the sealant definitely needs replacing.

If you could see the difference between these & the uPVC windows on the back of the house (2 bedrooms & a bathroom), you would see what I’m talking about. Back windows dry, front windows dripping wet.

What I’m asking is can Wooden Frame windows be re-fitted with Double glazed panels, which have as big a gap etc. as uPVC frames? Where would I go for them??

Do I need to just replace with uPVC?

Thanks

modern wooden frames avoid the mistakes of the past that led to failing sealed units, peeling paint etc; so i would say replace with decent wooden windows. ask for drained and ventilated glazing, factory applied finishes, and guarantees.

these should be at least as durable as upvc, and should only need attention every 5 years or so. you can get guarantees on the finishes for the first 10 years. same as upvc.

your existing frames will not be worth saving i predict, especially as you have already neglected them, they will be rotten.

the condensation will be due to the lack of insulation of the failed sealed unit creating a cold surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back