uPVC porch with wood door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

We are getting our wooden porch windows replaced with uPVC windows and we need to get our door replaced as it has warped. But we have a problem in that we cannot find a upvc door that we like nearly as much as the deign of our old wooden one. With this in mind we are considering getting a new oak door made and hopefully colour matched with the windows.

My question is, is it possible to have upvc windows and a wooden door connected together?

I have attached a photo to make this question a bit clearer. As you can see we would have upvc windows either side, and then a wooden door frame and door in the middle.

And advise would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

223000_222246_83274_40603230_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
your door and frame need to go in first and your looking at about £600 for the door and fitting the frame as a rough guide

Thanks for your reply big-all :) But I was wondering whether it is actually possible to connect upvc and wood together or whether you can only use 1 material e.g can only have upvc windows with a upvc door.

yes you can fix upvc to any material strong enough[wood/stone/brick/block] but you cannot hang a door onto upvc framing unless specifically desighned to do so

Sponsored Links
Ok great, so as long as the frame for the door is also wood, we should be able to fit it alongside upvc windows?

you will find many companies will not just fit the side lights[windows] on there own
are you having the whole house done??

Yes the whole house has been redone, just the porch that still needs doing

Yes the whole house has been redone, just the porch that still needs doing
mmm may be overly expensive as a stand alone job :confused:
off course they may value your business so far and swallow the extra overheads
best to ask before you do anything really

Shame as that is a lovely door (says the guy who hates wood lol).
At a recent industry show I did see some composite doors in a similar style but I cant remember the make. I will try to have a dig through my brochures and find it if I can

I haven't got one of their brochures I'm afraid and I cant remember the name of the company :oops:

No was something like Guardian. They had doors with the same sort of studs in them, Even had one with a caged opening spyhole that looked like it was for shooting arrows out of lol

Thank you so much for having a look for the brochure, very kind of you.

After many hours of looking I've managed to track down a couple of companies which have panelled composite doors similar to the one we have albeit without the decorative studs, however, i'm certain that we can add these on ourselves afterwards with a bit of industrial adhesive ;)

Incase there is anyone else out there who ever has a similar problem locating these types of doors here are some links to the doors I found :)

http://www.theenglishdoorcompany.com/english_door_company/front-doors-uk - click on the 'door designs stormproof' link at the bottom and it'll bring up all of the designs

Personally we went for the Mowbray design from this manufacturer as they were much more reasonably priced, and came in the same colour as our new windows: http://cwgchoices.com/wp-content/website-pdf-downloads/choices-timber-alternative-doors.pdf

Hope this helps anyone else who is in a similar position

oh wow they are very similar aren't they!

Thank you very much! I will contact them and see what they can do :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back