Replaced 2 Radiators now a third one is cold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i hope this is an easy one for one of you more experience guys to help me with.

I have three upstairs radiators, Main b/room Small b/Room and Bathroom and 2 downstairs (its a small house)

The small B/Room radiator leaked and the main B/Room was looking a bit dodgy so i decided to replace both in one go.

The small b/room had a broken TRV which was locked in the open position so when it came to removing the radiator i didn't know what to do so whilst the bucket was constantly filling i could hear the tank in the bathroom making loads of burbling noises and had the idea that if i turned off the main water then it would eventually run dry?

I turned off the main valve under the sink downstairs and after a couple of buckets the TRV end stopped running water and i could replace the radiator.

I then replaced the radiator in the main B/Room which was really easy because there was no water left inside it.

I then turned the water back on under the sink and bled all the radiators in the house. and i'm in a bit of a mystery now as to whats going on really.

Main B/room is luke warm
Small B/room is toasty warm
Bathroom is cold but warm at the pipes
living room is stone cold
Hallway is boiling hot

i'm guessing i have air in the system or something along those lines but i can't qhite figure out whats going on really. my only thought was that the main bedroom radiator was replaced by a slightly larger one 1000X500 rather than 1000X450 would this make a difference?

any thoughts would be greatly appriciated.

Many thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Close each lockshield and then open just ONE turn. That will be an approx balance point.

Using the TRV or control valve and run the heating with just one rad on at a time and then move that on rad along until each one has been on for about five minutes at a time.

If you have access to the pump turn it to position "3" while doing that.

This action will hopefully force any air lock into the rads and get the flow going.

Afterwards if it has worked you can bleed each rad if any are cold at the top.

Tony Glazier

Close each lockshield and then open just ONE turn. That will be an approx balance point.

Using the TRV or control valve and run the heating with just one rad on at a time and then move that on rad along until each one has been on for about five minutes at a time.

If you have access to the pump turn it to position "3" while doing that.

This action will hopefully force any air lock into the rads and get the flow going.

Afterwards if it has worked you can bleed each rad if any are cold at the top.

Tony Glazier

Thats awesome mate, thank you very much. i do have access to the pump (red box thingi?) but i don't recall seeing a switch or a gague on it anywhere, i will have a look

a couple of my TRV's are broken so i will start with those radiators first and work my way around, is there a good way of starting, upstairs first etc? or largest first?

Many thanks

Am I reading this right? You drained down, you knew you had broken TRVs but you did not replace them?

Sponsored Links
Am I reading this right? You drained down, you knew you had broken TRVs but you did not replace them?

Lol yeah ;) the radiator was leaking pretty bad and I didnt realise I had to drain down the system until I did it :)

I didnt have a TRV on hand so I thought bugger it, a job for another day lol

BUT !! Good news. I wacked it with a hammet and jobs a goodun, its now working great lol

Going back to the original reason for my post, I have adjusted the radiator valves and managed to get the three upstairs radiators lovley and hot but downstairs the living room is stone cold and hallway is hot..so just the livingroom thats cold.

The pipes to the radiator are cold though. Any ideas?

Much appriciated

On that rad the valves are closed or blocked
Maybe the rad is gunked up , take it off the wall, flush it with the hose out in the garden

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back